Eating contaminated food and drinking contaminated water are the two most common causes of travelers’ diarrhea. So here are some tips on how to stay healthy.
How to avoid drinking contaminated water
- Always drink bottled water or canned drinks instead of tap water.
- Use bottled water, rather than tap water, to brush your teeth.
- Avoid drinks topped up with ice cubes made from tap water.
- If you’re going swimming, be careful not to swallow any water.
How to avoid eating contaminated food
- Check that your food has been cooked properly.
- Don’t leave food lying around on tables or sideboards.
- Wash your hands with soap before eating.
- Try to avoid raw foods washed in tap water.
- Avoid eating uncooked meats or seafood.
- Avoid eating food from street vendors.
Take the stress out of traveling
Even without the worry of what you’re eating and drinking, holidays can be stressful. So, if anxiety is known to set off diarrhea for you, try to make your holiday a relaxing one.
Take the stress out of things by getting someone else to organize the travel insurance, book the hotel or search for flights. Or better still, go on a package where these things are done for you. If you’ve had a busy time of it at work recently, choose a holiday that’s all about unwinding. After all, it won’t be much of a break if you spend it worrying about diarrhea.